Thursday, February 13, 2014

VOCABULARY #2

presumably- likely, reasonably
After much evidence, this is presumably the answer.
acculturation- adjustment to a culture
After a month of living in Italy, I finally began to acculturate.
red eye- an over night or late-night flight on a commercial plane.
I flew red eye to Europe.
kvetch- a person who complains a lot
After a two hour phone call of how horrible her life was, it was safe to say she was a kvetch.
philomath- a lover of learning
It is a good thing to be a philomath while traveling because you can learn a lot.
intrepid- fearless, adventurous
From traveling the world, I am now intrepid.
freelance- working for different companies at different times rather then being employed by one company.
I am working as a freelancer now. I have worked for 10 magazines.
pretentious- attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.
The pretentious teacher talked for an hour about their life.
modicum- a small quantity of a particular thing, esp. something considered desirable or valuable.
The modicum of trinkets filled my suitcase.
uninitiated- without special knowledge or experience
Many people claim to know the answer but really they are just uninitiated.
nomad- a member of a people having no permanent abode, and who travel from place to place to find fresh pasture for their livestock.
The nomad has been to all of the European countries.
discrepancy- a lack of similarity or compatibility between 2 or more facts.
There has been a discrepancy between my mom and I about my plans.
relegating- consign or dismiss to an inferior position.
The king relegated the prince to a servant.
eradicated- depicted with the roots exposed.
The tree was eradicated.
retrospect- a survey of a past course of events or period of time
I retrospected on my past year of traveling.
meandering- follow a windy course.
I meandered along the yellow brick road.
undulating- move with a smooth, wave like motion
While surfing, I always undulate.
rejiggered- organize something differently
When that happened, I had to rejigger my plans.



No comments:

Post a Comment